Sunday, April 27, 2008

Host Family Number 1

We´ve now been with our training host families for one week. It´s been quite the transition from our relatively nice villas we were staying in when we first got to Panama. We´re staying in two small towns about 45 minutes (by public bus) outside of Panama City. Houses are made of of cement and it´s about 50/50 latrine versus flush toilet. Fortunately I´ve got the nicer of the two and because of it have yet to see a cucaracha (cochroach). I share a bedroom with my 59 year old host mom- Gloriela. Two of her four children live with us, their ages are 36 and 37. They both work in the city so they aren´t around during the day. Lots of extended family are coming around the house- my favorite is 5 year old Jossmar. Yesterday we were playing in his casa de arboles (tree house). My host family is really nice and they give me my space, but sometimes it´s a bit too much space as we don´t do anything but sit and watch tv. It doens´t matter much as we are kept very busy between technical and language training which are from 8 to 12 and 1 to 5 everyday. Not to mention the homework. I think I have an advantage having just graduated from college, it´s not too much of a transition from that.

Today we had a mini tour of Panama City, how the buses work, and where the grocery stores and hotels are that we might need to use later on. I´ve also had a chance to experience Panama´s health clinics. I think I´m one of the optimisic ones in the group, but as I´ve said before, things are still going great. They are getting a bit more stressful and the workload has picked up, and we´re all anxious to find out where our sites will be. We´ll find out in 3 weeks. I think that´s all the updates for now. Chao!!

2 comments:

Ksta said...

how was church? we missed you today on our last day of sunday school. I'm glad you're staying optimistic! keep it that way! that will make it a much better adventure. I love you, miss you, and wish you were here for graduation! I'm praying for you daily. do you think you'll ever get skype up, or are you waiting to get to your site? just curious. Love you!
ps. I think it's spelled ciao...:) buenas!

Jessica Porath said...

I´m not sure if I´m supposed to comment back on my comments, but they do spell chao c-h-a-o here in Panama. I asked... (I couln´t find the colon on this keyboard or I would have put a smiley face after that.)