Saturday, April 19, 2008

¡Panamá!





I made it to Panama and I've got internet for the moment (although it is pretty hit and miss). It is very green here compared to MN- and MUCH more hot and humid. Things are still going great! We pretty much have training from 8 to 6 for the next few days. We’ve had some sessions on safety, money, and computers, learned how to make flotation devices out of our clothes and done a few language interviews to find out what level our Spanish is at. Today we visited a current volunteer at his site about an hour and a half away. We had a chance to see a waterfall and see what the indigenous community was like. It was neat but we’re all a bit freaked out about the living situation. I put a few pictures below. I’ve learned that I will probably be in an indigenous community (w/o electricity or water) working mostly with ESL. Sounds pretty exciting!! I also have discovered that this is the first TEA (Tourism and English Advising) program they have ever had in Panama. So we get to really develop the program and make it what we want. That's pretty neat- if it goes well for us then they will continue to have the program.


On Sunday (tomorrow!!) we move in with our host families that we will be with for the next 9 weeks of training. So far everything is going great and I feel extremely blessed to be in Panama. All the PC staff are great and they really care about the volunteers and want to make their experience the most enjoyable it can be. I most likely won’t have internet access for the next few weeks so I’m not sure when I’ll have another chance to write…

Chao

3 comments:

Nate said...

Looks like fun!
Do you get to wear the local clothing style to fit in? ;) I can tell it is warm there!
Good luck, keep having fun!
Nate

Unknown said...

Looks pretty good! All those tourists are paying big bucks to go where you are going. Thanks for your positive attitude with all of your new experiences. We are already looking forward to our visit late in the year. Love ya lots!!

Ksta said...

wow. it looks a-mazing! I can't wait to hear about your host family!!! too bad you're not here to experience the cold, rainy season going on outside my window... :) Love you!