Monday, July 28, 2008

Sloppy Joe






Wireless internet, electrical outlets, public phones, flushing toilets and a sloppy joe- today has been a good day! I was definately in need of a break and today has fit the bill. Life on the island is going well. Some days I feel overwhelmed with the tasks ahead of me, but taking things one day at a time, and playing lots of volleyball makes things seem do-able. The most exciting news is that work on my house has begun. On Satruday 14 men and 8 women showed up for my work "junta". The men cut and carried the wood that will become the posts and frame of my house while the women and I cooked 10 pounds of rice and chicken foot soup. And the fun will continue next Satruday when we will work again. I can't wait to cook for myself and have a space to call my own. Athough the prospect of having to face giant spiders, cockroaches, scorpians, and blood sucking bats on my own isn't all that thrilling. On Thursday I'll move in with my second host family in the community. It will be a big change moving from a house with 17 people to one with only 4. A change should be good though. Posted are some pictures from my site. Thanks for all the prayers and thoughts! Someday I'll have time to write a more detailed post, but for now I'm off to buy nails for my house. Hasta luego, Jessica

2 comments:

potsy said...

Hello

Holly said...

There building you a house already!? I guess things are getting better...