Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I'm on an unexpected 3 day "vacation" from my site. I've been somewhat sick for over a week now and I finally decided today that it was worth a trip to the clinic, so 1 1/2 hours in boat and 45 min in bus later I made it to the clinic where I received an IV injection, a shot in my butt, some pills, and I get to stay for the next two days for more butt shots. But I can already tell a difference and it will be nice to be healthy again. And having internet and air conditioning for a couple days isn't so bad. Tonight I'm going to have a little me time and watch a movie on my laptop- I also bought skittles, oreos and cheetos! I'm horrible I know!

For a little more insight as to what life is like for me, I'm going to share a journal entry I wrote a few weeks back that I rather like...

I hate that:
-The nearest bathroom is a 10 min walk that involves mud, squating, and BYOTP.
-Burping is not rude.
-Babies pee and poop on the floor and it's only the second that gets rinsed with water.
-People have so much Pena.
-I'm seen as a walking dollar bill.
-I'm used for my "gringa" status.
-I can't understand what people are saying 65% of the time because of Ngabere.
-Kids don't have all the opportunities I had in school.
-There isn't an inch on my arms or legs that isn't overed in bug bites.
-I'm discovering new gigantic bugs everyday.
-There's not enough time in a day, yet half the time I'm bored.
-There are ants in my bed.
-I have to do diagnoses for Peace Corps.
-There's always a radio on when God's jungle music is so much better.
-I can't solve all their problems.
-Nothing dries.
-I'm condemned from the church for wearing pants, having short hair, wearing a watch and jewelery, listening to the radio, playing volleyball, and playing Bingo.
-Because of many things mentioned above, so many people in the community are condemned from the church (ex. my host brother-in-law likes to play baseball, my host sisters like listening to the radio)
-I have pena to pasear.
-I don't eat fish scales or heads.
-Bochinche exists.

I love:
-That I'm living on an island in Panama!!
-When I remember they're Indians and how proud and strong their culture is.
-When I realize that worlds apart dads still put on their reading glasses to read to their sons and big brothers help their little sisters with school projects.
-That I get to play volleyball.
-That I'm starting to feel at home.
-That I get to bathe naked everynight under the stars watching lightning in the distance.
-That I really am living in a house on stilts with a palm thatched roof.
-That people are so excited about English classes.
-I know I've got great friends and family back home rooting and praying for me.
-The simplicity of life.
-Hammocks.
-That I'm actually speaking Spanish all day everyday.
-The prospect of changing lives for the better.

Alrighty then, I'm going to start my movie now. Peace out for now!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

man, well you got the part right about people praying for you. I hope thingsare getting better. From experience at camp, you will start to become immune to bugs, so just hang tight.